Tuesday, August 14, 2007

We are Miners....

(to the tune of We Are Miners by The Cowboy Junkies)
....
I've been meaning to make mention of this for a few days now. (It's a relatively local issue.)
I've never been one to make another's troubles or dramas her own... ie, demonstratively "this is how this Worldly Trouble affects lil ol Me" but I would like to say a few words about this current and tragic woe.
I believe that miners are the toughest s.o.b.'s on earth. I say this with the sincerest and highest regard.
I'm sure you're all aware of what mining entails, but allow me to express my respect none-the-less.

First of all, they're cast into the bowels (quite literally) of the earth for hours and hours on end each day. This has to have serious consequences upon one's psyche and sense of liveliness.

Secondly... one's family must worry -even more than policemen's family's- everyday for their very survival and well-being. They don't see the dark side of humanity, maybe, but they surely live in the dark side of the earth, which must tell and threaten its own terrefying tales on a regular basis.

Third... being underground... for miles and miles... in a small, dismal tunnel... in the never-ending blackness, with uniform support beams and strange air, smells, and noises and pounding echoes and clangs and shouts..... well. To me it reaks of desperation meeting necessity.
Never mind that most of us get freaky just thinking for half a second about being trapped in such a place.

Fourth, it's probably not the most respected position on the planet. But I think perhaps it should be. Us commoners might see them as uneducated. Poor. Desperate. Trapped.
All the more reason to offer them our well wishes and love and sincere gratitude.

For we, the priveledged (benefactors), certainly reap the rewards of our fellow man's toils, with nary a thought to the pains of another's soul or heartache or black lungs, and it seems to me that we owe them mightily.
We owe their children. We owe their wives.

Perhaps not all, but surely some must subscribe to such an occupation out of desperation to make for their loved ones A Better Life.
I am not saying it's pitiable.
I am only saying that we should certainly consider that we owe much to our fellow man, and should not take for granted, but offer a supplicating prayer to our brother the Coal Miner.

So here's to you, Dear Brothers and Sisters.
Here's to your valiance. Your bravery. Your servitude. Your amazing and astounding grit.
I offer you my most humble thanks.
I owe to you so many of my daily celebrations.
Especially being a direct beneficiary of your services.
May you always be watched over by Fierce Guardians. May you be supervised by people who respect and cherish you. May your intuition and pluck guide you every moment.
May your spirits and hearts find fulfillment, and may you lay your sensitive eyes upon and hold your Heart's Content in your ore-stained hands.

I humbly offer you my deepest respect and well wishes.

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a touching post Stephanie. The whole situation is very sad, especially for the families who are left behind.

My grandpa was a coal miner, a logger, & a REAL cowboy back in the day. I think your description of them being the "toughest s.o.b's" is right. I only wish I was older before he died so I could have listened to all of his many many stories of his life. I've heard secondhand from my parents, and boy his life was filled with adventure! My mom recently told me that he was treed by a grizzly bear once, for 8 hours, and lived to tell about it.

Mining is tough work! My brother works in a gold mine in Nevada. He started out as a laborer, but with his degree he now runs the mine from computers. His brother-in-law just recently quit as he was going "underground" and he has a wife and 3 kids and he just couldn't bear the chance of him getting killed and leaving them behind. He was fortunate to get another job with the same pay, most don't have that option and that is why they are doing it, to support their families.

My thoughts are with the families.

Julie