Thursday, September 13, 2007

Legal

Legal was not a big deal for me this year.
The whole school thing, and concerns and fears had me by the ankles last year, but as I've said... this year we sailed right along.
I was a bit nervous about going in to the school district, because I didn't know what to expect. The law says they cannot insist on the child's birthday, but I didn't know if I would be given grief because I hadn't given that information, or if they would refuse to sign my exemption form, or what to expect.
The lady - I believe it was Lana - asked if I would mind giving the child's birthday, I gave her a confused look and said I didn't think it was required, and she said that it wasn't, but that I would have to get another note notarized saying he was born after a particular date.
I felt a bit bullied (but only slightly) as I think she knew I didn't want to do more running around and then come back there again, so I told her his birthday. Then she asked for his sex, which I am sure makes not a hill of beans, but I told her anyway.
Ironically, as I was standing there, in this strange sort of warehouse place with a few offices, one of the offices right there had a sign (bumpersticker) on the door that said "Silence is Golden" but Golden was struck through with red and "Unnecessary" was written over it. Huh.
After a closer look, I think it was advocating for the deaf, but still ironic, I thought.

I was really relieved to have this done - in case I ran into trouble with anyone, and had visitors come knocking on my door (Her children are not in school!!!) I didn't want to have to correct it later, and maybe be in a position of defending my right to do so, or have them say "it's too late, you are neglectful, and we will see that the courts rule this option out for you."

I told Trev what the affidavit was about, and he was relieved to have it all done, too.
"Now I can't tell some ol' teacher what to do." He said. No, wait, that isn't right. "Now I can tell some dumb ol' teacher what to do." No, that's not right, either. "Now some teacher can't tell me what to do!"
"Yup."
"You can be my teacher! And you don't tell me what to do!"
(smile)

I'm not real excited about them knowing his birthday - just because they don't have the legal right to ask, but it's not the end of the world, either.
Next year I will be sure to include a phrase of "my child who is of legal school age" in my affidavit.
Now we're done, and they can't take it away from me.

1 comment:

EC said...

It's something, the hoops one has to jump through in order to protect one's rights. You could send your kid off to school without so much as a how-do-you-do but homeschooling, forget about it.

In spite of the fact that on principle I would disagree with "them" having his birthday, I have no doubt that I would have done the same thing you did. No doubt at all.