Saturday, April 21, 2007

All About Me

Don't know if that's a good title for this post, as most of these musings are all about me, but today I started reading more about Carl Jung's philosophies, and heard of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
Fascinating!
Here is a link to this test I found by Humanmetrics, a Jung typology test. If you take the test, I'd love to hear about your results!


You are almost never late for your appointments No
No!

You like to be engaged in an active and fast-paced job No
God No.

You enjoy having a wide circle of acquaintances No
Don't have a wide circle of acquaintances!

You feel involved when watching TV soaps -Yes
Though I don't watch any.

You are usually the first to react to a sudden event: the telephone ringing or unexpected question No
I usually stammer for a moment.

You are more interested in a general idea than in the details of its realization No
I like the details.

You tend to be unbiased even if this might endanger your good relations with people No
I'm hardly unbiased about anything, though I'm pretty diplomatic.

Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent a good outcome No
God no, again, laughing.
This edited in later: Ack! I read that as likely to ensure a good outcome! Scratch that! Will have to redo...

It's difficult to get you excited No
I get excited about a clean kitchen floor, butterflies in my yard and a cold glass of beer.

It is in your nature to assume responsibility Yes
Goodness, I take personal responsibility for just about everything.

You often think about humankind and its destiny Yes No
hmm. On the one hand, I believe in 'Think globally, act locally', and all that. On the other, everyone's life is made up of his decisions and thoughts, and he is free to choose. Not sure how to answer.

You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed No
The best decision is the one that feels right.

Objective criticism is always useful in any activity No
Criticism hurts my feelings, I'm sure it hurts others, too.

You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate about various options No
I always speculate.

You trust reason rather than feelings No
I'm reasonable, to be sure, and I think things out, but how I feel about it will win the day.

You are inclined to rely more on improvisation than on careful planning No
Nope, I'm a planner. I like organization. Though the plan has to feel right at the planned time...

You spend your leisure time actively socializing with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc. No
Hardly.

You usually plan your actions in advance Yes
I find that things work best in Motherhood Land if I plan.

Your actions are frequently influenced by emotions Yes
Sigh. It's true.

You are a person somewhat reserved and distant in communication Yes
I really had to consider this one. Online I'm not reserved at all, but I think it's imperative that I put myself out there. But that's the written word. While writing I am exceedingly expressive. In real life, not so much. So, I put yes for reserved and distant. In a social setting I am more quiet and reserved.

You know how to put every minute of yourtime to good purpose No
Hardly.

You readily help people while asking nothing in return No
Have to admit to "no" on this one. I'd like to answer yes, but I kept thinking of waiting in a long line to turn left while driving, then seeing others zoom by and cutting in way up at the front of the line. I never let them in. So the answer will have to be "no."

You often contemplate about the complexity of life Yes
Well, of course!

After prolonged socializing you feel you need to get away and be alone Yes
This one made me smile, because I wasn't thinking "rest" so much as "write about it", which for me, is the same thing. I write. It's how I work through my thoughts and feelings on things. And rest!

You often do jobs in a hurry Yes
I do them in a hurry so I can move on to other things sometimes. Clean and dust the livingroom in 20 minutes! that sort of thing. Always thorough, though.

You easily see the general principle behind specific occurrences Yes
I can easily set myself in others' shoes, or figure out why a thing is happening, usually.

You frequently and easily express your feelings and emotions Yes
She laughs.

You find it difficult to speak loudly No
I have a very full voice. Sometimes I forget, since I was always one of the quiet ones in my family.

You get bored if you have to read theoretical books No
I said no initially, and then saw "have to", so I changed it to yes, but now I'm changing again, because "have to" for me usually means "wants to", so if I was interested, I wouldn't be bored.

You tend to sympathize with other people Yes

You value justice higher than mercy No
Justice sort of claims judgment and leaves no room for allowances. I like allowances, so I'll say no.

You rapidly get involved in social life at a new workplace No
What a nightmare.

The more people with whom you speak, the better you feel No
I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good to me.

You tend to rely on your experience rather than on theoretical alternatives Yes
Why wouldn't I? Either I trust my own insight, or I try to find a better way.

You like to keep a check on how things are progressing Yes
Cookies in the oven, seedlings in the garden.

You easily empathize with the concerns of other people Yes

Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party Yes
Well, I must, I read a lot more books than I attend parties!

You enjoy being at the center of events in which other people are directly involved No
If this is like "the center of attention", then definitely not.

You are more inclined to experiment than to follow familiar approaches No
I'm a creature of comfort.

You avoid being bound by obligations Yes
God yes.

You are strongly touched by the stories about people's troubles Yes
Of course.

Deadlines seem to you to be of relative, rather than absolute, importance No Yes
I take my deadlines pretty seriously. A gray area. I chose no.

You prefer to isolate yourself from outside noises Yes
Noise often irritates the hell out of me.

It's essential for you to try things with your own hands Yes
Gotta figure it out for myself usually. Has to ring with truth, anyway.

You think that almost everything can be analyzed Yes
Can't everything? (why does it say almost everything?)

You do your best to complete a task on time Yes
I do try, it's true.

You take pleasure in putting things in order Yes
My, yes!

You feel at ease in a crowd Yes
Crowds are anonymous, they don't bother me usually.

You have good control over your desires and temptations No
Lord, no.

You easily understand new theoretical principles No
I wasn't sure of the question, so I said no. It would depend, of course, if it were interesting or not.

The process of searching for solution is more important to you than the solution itself No
Nah, unfortunately I know to "enjoy the journey", but my mind is always on the finished result.

You usually place yourself nearer to the side than in the center of the room Yes

When solving a problem you would rather follow a familiar approach than seek a new one Yes
If I have one that I think will work, of course!

You try to stand firmly by your principles Yes

A thirst for adventure is close to your heart No
Not really, no. I'm not very adventurous.

You prefer meeting in small groups to interaction with lots of people Yes
I wasn't sure of the question, but I said yes.

When considering a situation you pay more attention to the current situation and less to a possible sequence of events No
Nope, I think about what will happen.

You consider the scientific approach to be the best No
Wasn't sure what that meant, but like I said earlier, I like to feel things out. So I said no.

You find it difficult to talk about your feelings No
Hardly

You often spend time thinking of how things could be improved Yes
sheesh

Your decisions are based more on the feelings of a moment than on the careful planning Yes
Careful planning first, but then we have to see when the time comes.

You prefer to spend your leisure time alone or relaxing in a tranquil family atmosphere Yes
Oh my, yes.

You feel more comfortable sticking to conventional ways No
That's laughable.

You are easily affected by strong emotions Yes
Ahem. Yes.

You are always looking for opportunities No
Not much interested in that. Sounds sort of competitive, fast-paced and actiony. Not my cup of tea.

Your desk, workbench etc. is usually neat and orderly Yes
True.

As a rule, current preoccupations worry you more than your future plans Yes
I get sort of compulsive about things (worries). Mostly it's the now's.

You get pleasure from solitary walks Yes No
I said yes. Then I changed it to "no". I like them best with my family. It didn't change anything (my results). It would depend on the moment.

It is easy for you to communicate in social situations Yes
I do sort of okay at parties, I guess.

You are consistent in your habits Yes
Habits? Yes. Ugh.

You willingly involve yourself in matters which engage your sympathies Yes
Sure.

You easily perceive various ways in which events could develop Yes
My brain works pretty well in that department.

This exercise has been great for me. It has uncovered a few things that have been in my head lately.
I'll be thinking on this subject for the next while, I am sure!

To be continued...

No comments: