Thursday, January 31, 2008

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Taxes

No wait. That's not right.
Is it??
Maybe it is.
Seems like it is.
Ah, hell, I don't know.

On Life:
Maddie's life has consisted of "Help me put this on" "No, I do it myself" "Aaaaaack! You stupid thing!" "You help wiff dis!!" "No, I do it!" "You damned thing!" "I need help." "I want it" "I don't want it." "You put this on me - No, it's not for Babies, it's for ME!"
Yes, yes. We all know that the real challenges begin when they are teenagers.
Whatever.
Pff. To you I dare to say "How soon we forget!!"
Relative, folks. It's aaaaaall relative.

Life Part II:
Calendars are done and I am thinking of quitting my Saturday job because my whole week revolves around it and getting things done by Saturday so that Sunday we can play as a family and have fun and no other obligations and if the house is a mess on Friday then it's really stressful to get it all straightened and Eric has a really stressful time Saturday mornings getting the babes ready for Grammie's and and and and there are lots of cool and fun things like Dinosaur classes at the Utah Museum of Natural History on Saturdays and lots of other fun sciencey sort of activities.... maybe after we get the tax return and get caught up I should just do it....

On Liberty:
Been thinking on my proclamations of being liberal. Or maybe libertarian. I stated to friends last week that while I consider myself liberal, I do not really consider myself politically affiliated with THE liberals. That's too confining, if you see what I mean. If I am associated with a one-and-only political party, then that takes away my freedom, now doesn't it?
I say "I am a liberal" because it means to me (as quoted by dictionary.com - my new favorite since my big red dictionary isn't always near my preferred machine: my laptop.):

lib·er·al [lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Pronunciation Key –adjective
1.favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2.(often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3.of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4.favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5.favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6.of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7.free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8.open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9.characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10.given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11.not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12.of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13.of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

Yes, folks. I am, and will most probably always continue to strive to be, a Liberal. So help me God.

And On Taxes:
Funny thing - my husband said a few years ago - I had never really thought about it in quite this way... "I don't mind paying taxes. What is the alternative? It just is what it is."
Hmm. Love you Rico. (maybe I should start sending him really loving and sweet notes in my posts, do you think that would prompt him to leave me a comment? I think that everyone believes that I and my ddh and babes don't really exist at all, and that I make all of these things up... maybe I scour the internet looking for pics of babes that even look similar to the afore-posted ones.... now where was I?... Oh yeah, taxes.... )
While I'm always a little delighted and eager to have my way with the money that Dear Old Uncle George sends back to me.... woohoo!, I'd be even more thrilled if he denounced himself and his oil buddies and dropped the price of gas to say - Oh, say, something that was BEFORE the supposed annihilation of the south and its oil rigs... but wait, we've recovered from that... why is gas so high again? Could it be that we just have gotten used to it?..... I digress, but who cares, because that's what this post is about, and I am too tired and taxed from life and politics and candidates that had promise but that want to offer liberties to the nuclear power plants and therefore encourage them to waste-more-waste-more-let's-all-turn-toxic-green-and-waste-more! And who the hell cares if there's nowhere to put it -not to mention store it FOR ETERNITY and for damned certain let's not use our soapbox to bring up really useful things like solar and wind and water and hemp and corn andandand...

On Taxes Continued - maybe, for those that don't like taxes so much, it would be much less painful if
1) everyone paid closer to the same,
and
2)we didn't have ridiculous things like "I'll buy your rights for your allotment since you are so responsible to the environment, and I'll just keep polluting at 2000% of what the (Not Conservative Enough) law allows me...
and
3) We could all choose what our particular dollars went for... and we had them tattooed on our foreheads... course that would mean that some of us would automatically reject some folks out of hand, and have automatic prejudices against them, but - I'd rather we be prejudiced about someone for their priorities and concern for this world and its inhabitants then what sort of money they make and what color their skin is and what country they were born in and wouldn't it be cool if there was just No More Money For War, and Uncle George had to either sell us on the idea, or had to just come up with alternatives? Then he and his oil buddies could fit the bill themselves... Yeah, they should pay for it themselves.....

What?
Did I say something?
I dunno.
Didn't I say that in the beginning?
I'm sure I did.

That's my life.
Life, liberty, and the Pursuit of Taxes.

'Finished my taxes, by the way.
Check's in the mail.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Well you said something :)

I followed you, I am not politically liberal but being a radical unschooler I am "liberal" in many ways. I tend toward Libertarian views of small government and personal freedom. I don't want to pay anymore taxes.

Good post I enjoyed it :)