Saturday, January 02, 2010

in gratitude, day one: the good stuff

A year ago I did thirty days of gratitude. At that time I chose to do so because looking for things to be grateful for is a very effective way to first of all get your mind away from things that you don't want to pay more attention to (and that you'd just-as-soon left your consciousness/world altogether), and secondly intentionally watching for the Goodness is a lovely way to spend a bit of time each day.

It's that time again, I think.

Today, however, I don't choose the path because I find something wrong with my life... it's more like an extra bit of goodness to accompany my thoughts and ponderings and recognition of Beauty. Sort of like a surfeit of Goodliness, if you see what I mean.

So.
I begin my thirty days...
Thirty days of recognizing abundance. Thirty days of acknowledging prosperity. Thirty days of capturing a fleeting moment in my hand or in my heart or with my camera or holding it fast to my spirit.

Today, it's this.
This speaks to me because it suits my mood and my feelings of my home.
Warmth, which I certainly value on a cold winter's night.
Pretty, bright little lights around my picture window. They're sparkly, like magic.
The down of my couch.
The quiet hum of my notebook.
The snuggly blanket next to me (that I'll surely be wrapping up in any minute, now).
It speaks of settling into, and warmth, and cookies, and quiet play and snuggles and long stories.
It represents, to me, my home, in this minute, and my life, in this minute, and my Self, in this minute...
and I can be very, very thankful for This, in this minute.
It is Enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so pretty, Stephanie. love the look of that sofa. very cush!

that space looks really comfortable and cozy. just perfect for winter.

kath001 said...

I'm always happy when I see that chair in your photos. I love that it seems to be seeing some action and feeling the love. I didn't care for it much in its former life when one hardly dared sit in it. Now it seems to be living its purpose.

Sarah said...

Steph, I saw this quote and thought of you. It doesn't fit with this post, but it does fit with the question you sometimes ask - "If I introduce something, is it still child-led learning", or something to that effect. ;-)

"Yes, I believe that our children guide us quite readily into that which interests them. Yes, I believe that natural learning happens all the time. At the same time I don't believe that a parent-initiated activities or information takes away from natural learning. In fact, I find that people with more experience, more years, and a wide array of experiences to pull from usually expand our own pool of information."

I found it here - http://radicalunschooling.blogspot.com/2009/10/learning-at-biltmore-issue-5.html#links