Monday, October 22, 2007

acceptance vs. initiating change (or) Shine On

Thanks so much to Mama Podkayne for nurturing these thoughts along - carried over from my last post. (Lah, I'm not getting anything done today 'cept sittin' here in the peace and quiet thinkin' and writin'. How lovely for me!)

So.
The question was "is my own intolerance any different from another's?"
After bristling initially with an offended "Of course it's different!" which eventually melted into a meek "oh, on second thought, maybe it isn't." I have come full circle to a place of "I believe so, yes."
Here's why. (I'd love others' thoughts and even contrary opinions on this.)

As I said in my last comment to the mentioned post, if I imagine this same situation being put to Gandhi, or Mother Theresa, or Jesus, or Siddhattha, how would they handle it?
Would they be satisfied with letting the souls around them remain satisfied and righteous in their prejudices and intolerance? Or would they lovingly and kindly try to encourage their fellow man to reach a higher, more loving tolerance, and maybe even understanding?
(I'm not imagining my importance equal to these Enlightened Souls, you understand, this is related to my recalibrating point. It comes in mighty handy!)

Not only that, which simplifies matters immensely for me... but do I care enough about this issue to press the matter, to put my heart forth, to be sick and anguish over it for several days (as MP has recently done) if I get stomped on and hurt over it? Do I care enough to risk the disdain of my community?
My answer will sometimes be yes.
Not because I am arrogant, and know better. Which is sometimes true (one or the other, you decide).
But because I believe folks like me can -and do- change the world.
One thought at a time. One question at a time. One loving deed at a time. One kindness done at a time.
That isn't a boast... I believe it's a fact.
I believe that my stumbling on the thoughts behind RU made me a kinder, better mother. In that mothering, arriving at a place where I long to be kind and unconditional and accepting and sweet and loving I have changed the world - I shall put forth two small souls who had a better start in life than they would have otherwise. Instead of being raised by a bossy and domineering (authoritarian) parent, they are taken into account, and have a voice, and know they are important, and heard, and loved - instead of just being told they are.
Ideas that were put forth for me to discover by folks Just Like Me.
Not saints.
Not prophets on the mount.
Not political leaders or revered scholars or famous fast talkers.
Just people.
People who care enough about humanity to Stand.
Offering their own wisdom and understanding for other folks to take, consume, and ponder.
People that feel that it's possible to Change The World.

So, Yes.
I believe that one should Stand when one sees an opportunity to right the wrongs of the world.
And those "wrongs of the world" to me would be all things that are not the promotion of kindness, and empathy, and love, and greater understanding, and tolerance.
I don't believe in these things simply because they are the foundation of my own moral mount.
I believe that these things are for the greater good of humanity.
All of humanity.

I believe that when we feel the need, it's a request of our spirit to Shine On.

2 comments:

Melissia said...

If you can stand and still hold to your own values, I say stand. If you stand in anger and condemnation and you do not espouse those as your values, you have created an inner war. You have been heard but you have been unfaithful to yourself. No good can come of that.
Melissia

Melissia said...

I was not trying to be judgmental with that comment. Peace is a value that we have to use even in the face of war in my opinion. What happened out on Utah HS was fueled by some people who believe in war. I know, I have been talking to them over on the politics board. If we that believe in peace do not speak peace in the face of the full onslaught of war, we prove those that believe in war right. If we believe in peace and its possibility to be reality, we have to practice it when it is the most hard. Not saying I am perfect, saying it is my true and utter belief. Peace is the way. Peace can happen but we have to be it.